Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

With what fictional character (book, movie, TV, etc.) do you most identify? Why?

The first character that comes to mind is Peggy Olson from Mad Men. I'm still on season two though. So, I only identify with Peggy Olson from that season (disclaimer in case her character changes later on).

Mad Men is a drama set in the 60's about an advertising agency on Madison Ave. Peggy started as a receptionist but has slowly crawled up to being a copywriter with her own office.

Peggy's character has progressed throughout the show and that is what I identify with the most.

At first, her fashion tastes were very frumpy and also childlike. If I am not careful with my fashion choices, I can easily look frumpy. Although Peggy and I have different reasons for changing our appearances, we both have changed for the better. Peggy changes her appearance so that she will be taken more seriously at work. Fashion for me, is fun. I like paying attention to style blogs and dressing myself well. Although I am 26, almost 27, it's taken me a long time to establish what my style is. When I was younger, I haphazardly wore clothing, trying to follow trends and fads even though they didn't work for me. It made shopping with my mom a nightmare, we both hated it. Now that I'm older, I know myself more and dress for me rather than following trends.

Another reason I connect with Peggy is that she's innovator. She's the only female in her profession and she has to work hard to be taken seriously but at the same time, she doesn't apologize for her sex. In one episode, she asks her boss for the recently vacated office and he gives it to her even though her seniority isn't as established as her male peers but since she asked for it, it was given to her. Her boss respected how forward she was and mentioned to her that her coworkers would never have had the courage to ask for that office and for that, she deserves it.

Although Peggy and I live in different times and in different professions, I feel as if I have to work harder than my male peers.

I can't wait to see how Peggy continues to transform in later seasons. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you've got some amazing Peggy episodes ahead of you. She is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete