Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

What skill have you learned in the past year that you are proud of?

Expressing my feelings. It seems elementary that this is something I only learned in my 26th year on this planet. To be more precise, the better lesson I learned is that my feelings matter.

I grew up walking on eggshells, making sure I didn't upset my father. It didn't help much, he was chronically angry about anything and everything.

Until this year I've always followed the lead even if it wasn't what I wanted because what I wanted didn't matter.

I'm not sure when my eureka moment happened but I realized that I do matter and my feelings matter.

Slowly I "stood up" for myself.

"It upsets me when you don't call me back."

"I'm sensitive about _______. Please don't tease me about it."

Maybe I'm only learning this now because I'm surrounded by such great people and have built myself a support system that I've never had before.

I'm grateful to the people in my life and I'm grateful that I learned how to voice myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment